Thursday, January 24, 2008

Andrew's surgery


On Friday, January 18th Andrew had his tonsils and adnoids out. I woke him up and put him straight into the car, still in his sleeper. He saw his Thomas bag which I had packed in case things didn't go well and we had to spend the night. He saw the bag and said, "Plane up in the sky, bus, train?" All things we ride when we go to the airport. I told him we had to go to the doctor's first and he said ok.
They had him change into this little purple gown with aliens on it. That lasted 5 minutes before he was asking to take the "dress" off. How could I argue with that. The nurses and doctors thought it was great. Soon he was naked.
They gave him something to help him relax, and I was able to go into the operating room with him and stay until he was under. They kept catty, stripey and cheese (the rat) so he would have them when he woke up. It only took about 30 minutes and he was done. I was there when he woke up and it was ugly. He screamed and cried and tried to rip out his IV. He got his blood oxygen sensor off in like 30 seconds. The nurse decided he was in pain and gave him some medicine which helped him relax and he went to sleep on me. I guess this is a normal reaction for small children to anesthesia, and I had been prepared for it.

They took us to the outpatient area, and when he woke up he was perfectly fine. He watched TV and drank probably 16 oz of juice. After an hour we were cleared to leave. He wanted to ride in the wheelchair to the entrance, but then RAN to the car saying, "fast, fast" the whole time. On the way home he asked for tacos, and ate 2 of them. I was in shock. He has just bounced right back, and other then a couple of grumpy days from coughing, this has been painless.

1 comments:

The Pierce Family said...

I'm so glad that everything went well with the surgery. Andrew is a tough little guy.