Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Our Trip to the Pumpkin Patch

EVERYTHING grows in Maryland. Tomatoes, corn, apples, blueberries, flowers and all the shrubs that have died in our yard here. I didn't know how spoiled I was. This was the pumpkin patch about 15 minutes from our house that we took Andrew to right before I had Ashley. It was our last Halloween before we moved.
Nothing grows here. The only "pumpkin patches" are the ones where they cart in a whole bunch of pumpkins and put them and bales of hay. No tripping over vines everywhere or having to walk a half mile with arms full of heavy pumpkins. So today I improvised.

Andrew and I made "pumpkin patches" with chocolate frosting, candy corns and those gross sugar pumpkins my kids love. He got really into it. While I felt the need to be all conventional, he did not. My pumpkins grew in rows with a nice, straight, little fence to keep the animals out. Andrew's grew where ever he felt like it, including his mouth, and his fence left something to be desired. Alas, not understanding the concept of a fence, he placed all the animals inside it. He then felt bad and put little candy corns in front of them all and said, "Aww, you hungry? Here you go. Eat."
He also has been pushing around his trains in the toy grocery cart saying, "Mom twains sad. You fix da twack and they be all happy. Yes?" How can you say no to a cart full of sad trains.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!!!! He looks so cute how hard he is concentrating. I love the plates you used - he got the nice ones!!!! Pumpkin patches are a blast and hopefully you can find one - in fact they have the bigpumpkin/harvest festival at Rockledge Ranch this Saturday - free admission, we're there! Seriously - great idea!

Diana said...

Brilliance! I'm steeling your idea.

R A C H A E L said...

Totally stealing this idea. I miss Andy after reading this and I LOVE those photos of you two in Maryland. He was such a sweet toddler!! I am calling you today to get your recipie for chocolate frosting and to see if Andy wants to play.

Hans and Michelle said...

Wow. I'm impressed. Seriously.

Rachel said...

That's my kind of pumpkin patch! Looks like he had a lot of fun!

The Pierce Family said...

I love it! What a great idea. I'm definitely going to have to do this one with my kids.