Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Ultimate Cool Thing

So this week, we got chosen to do a Nielson survey. Be still my heart. Let me explain my overwhelming excitement. I was a communications major in college. This is the study of mass media theory. So, for instance, here are just a few of the highly valuable and applicable things I studied.

How does television change our definition of literacy?
How does the exportation of American culture through the media affect existing regional cultures.
How does media consumption change societal norms?

Let me tell you how many jobs those opened the door to! Ahh.... I must say I am a total nerd at heart. Yes, I took the PR, journalism and advertising classes. The media management and writing ones too. But the true joy for me was the theory.

I have to say I have always wanted to participate in a Nielson ratings study, and after 10 years my chance is here. I am diligantly jotting down all the Nick, Disney, football and CNN we watch. Flay has not caught the vision and thinks I'm a freak. As for me, I am enjoying every bit.

Oh yeah, and my laptop is on death's doorstep, so I haven't been online like at all. My house is cleaner and all the laundry is folded, but if you know a place to get it fixed, let me know. I'm having serious internet withdrawls.

4 comments:

Robin said...

Ohhh! i was a comm major too. Lucky you!

Liz said...

Actually, I think all of those questions are very interesting. I always found the class that dealt with some form of sociology the most interesting, whether it technically fell into that college or not. So, you get my vote on it...have fun!

R A C H A E L said...

Sounds like fun. If you took marketing can you give me some adivce on my marketing for photography? I feel the need to expand. (I'm just getting bored, really...)

Hans and Michelle said...

I'm impressed. I love the topics. Can I read one of your papers?