So after many delays we finally made it to the border. We ended up crossing 3 or 4 hours after the original plan. This is a picture of Ashley post-vomit. She waited until we were 5 minutes over the border and puked 3 times. Our whole car smelled terrible.
Here's where we stopped to get burritos. It was kind of fun to experience authentic Mexican food, but personally, I prefer the Tex-Mex variety. They didn't have much flavor but were plenty spicy. It's a good thing my brother-in-law is from there and knew where was safe to stop and what to order. Otherwise we never would have braved it.
This is Mexican takeout. A guy stands on the side or middle of the road and sells you burritos out of a cooler. Not quite McDonald's.
Here is a look at the beautiful scenery. It was brush and shanties the whole way. The place we stayed was really interesting. It was an old hacienda originally designed and owned by Poncho Villa. It has been meticulously restored and still has a lot of the original architecture. Unfortunately the accommodations were a touch rustic, like no heat, no hot water and no way to cook the first night. Luckily we brought a space heater, so we were OK sleeping at night. The other families with babies had a rough time.
The one thing I walked away with was a huge appreciation of all that we have here in the US. We are so blessed with material things. I also was grateful that mine and Flay's great-grandparents stopped practising polygamy when they were ordered to. Many of the original Mormon colonists were polygamists, and Flay and I both have family that comes from there. We saw some polygamists at the border crossing. Mexico has been a safe haven for the different polygamist splinter groups over the years. I was so grateful that our families had made the choice to follow the prophet's commandment to stop all those years ago. I can't imagine being born into that lifestyle, and then to have to eke out a living down there.
Don't worry, there's still more to come for all of you interested in our adventures over the border. I will give you a teaser of sheep tacos being cooked, more sick kids, a world famous potter and a 15-hour drive.
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Mexico Trip Part 2
Posted by jenn and flay at 3:47 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Jen- I can hardly wait. I wish I could hear it in person with your hysterical comments.
Love the music.
This is so great! What an adventure. I wish we were together, hanging out, while you tell me of everything that happened. Miss ya!
Post a Comment